It's already Wednesday! Day 3 of Real Diaper Week. To read what it's all about you can head on over to The Eco Chic's website. Mom & Bloggers are celebrating Earth Day by spreading the word about how Simple & Real Cloth Diapers are, it really is not that hard! Then on Saturday (April 21st) there will be an attempt to break last years world record for the most diapers changed simultaneously, find a location near you HERE.
Today is all about how your baby can be stylish, eco-friendly and dry without breaking the bank. Wether you choose to use disposables or cloth (We do buy disposables for night time) it's always a goal to save some money while doing it. I live in a very low income area and when I go grocery shopping, I see a lot of families buying generic and while that might be cheaper, if they just did a bit of price comparison and clipped a few coupons they can get the brands they love at the same or cheaper price. (I love saving) And same thing with cloth diapers.
Also think about Cloth Diapers as an investment. We have been using cloth for almost three years and all but maybe one are practically like new! The new baby will be using the same diapers! So, if you know babies are still in your families future they will be able to use them as well. I wouldn't sell/trade until you are done in the baby making department. Imagine the savings with new additions?! You can splurge on a few, but you won't have to buy a whole new stash of diapers like you have to with disposables! Here are a few tips on how you can get an awesome cloth diaper stash and save money!**I will share a photo of my stash when the baby wakes up (hubs)**
- Giveaways!!!! That is my favorite way to get a diaper = FREE! Just google it and I'm sure you will find tons of giveaways to enter. My favorite way of finding them is via Twitter. Just search "#giveaway" and a whole load of them will come up. You can also find linkys (where blogs link all the other giveaways in one spot) and enter like 10 giveaways in no time!
- Swap/Trade!!!! Tons of diapers already floating around the US. You just gotta find them. Well known website for trading diapers is DiaperSwappers.com. You can also check out Freecycle.org. I got my first Newborn diaper for FREE via Freecycle. They were probably valued at $50 and I paid just gas money to go pick them up from a local mom.
- Seconds!!!! I love buying seconds. First, cus they are cheap and Second, because I have never had an issue buying seconds. Most of the time when I recommend to someone buying seconds, they thing torn, worn, not wearable and just cheap! Well, they are cheap, but never have they been unwearable. Almost every major retailer will have an "Outlet" or "Seconds" section where you can see what they have!
- Gifts!!!! I've been debating wether to go this route, but I'm sure many of you will Love this idea! You know the regular baby registry where you just choose items that you need. Well, instead of doing that you have only Cloth Diapers in your registry. Maybe just have a list of brands on your baby shower list or be creative on how to mention this to your guests. I've seen that guests buy them before hand and someone makes a Cloth Diaper Cake!
- & Half!!!! What I mean by half & half is that you also invest in some Flats or Prefolds and some Diaper Covers. You can get a small size prefold and that will last you all the way up until your baby is potty trained. We still use our NB prefolds on our 3 year old! They are great for when they are babies to use alone with a cover and when they get older they are super absorbant for night-time and to use as a doubler. You can even get creative, cut them in half and use them as a insert, maybe add a fancy strip of printed frabric. And then you just put a cover over the prefold and you're done! Cost is way less than buying only pockets and/or AIOs.