Skip to main content

Sunday is Coupon Day!



I always get excited when Sunday comes around.... doesn't everyone? Well, no, till today, I still get odd and "mad" looks when I spend an extra minutes (to sometimes 5 minutes) at the checkout because I'm double checking prices, coupons and that everything goes as I NEED it to be. Why do I need it to be perfect correct? 

Here is my coupon store (Short Version, I promise)

In 2005 I lost my father to cancer (only after 8 days of finding out) and we vowed to eat healthier and be more eco-conscious because his doctor was always talking about his "green" life-style and it seem very easy and he was in his late 70's and look just wonderful. That year we (Hubs & I) lost about 40lbs combined. My mom also lost about 50+ lbs on her own! We had moved in because we helped with all the financials that came into play after his passing. Only my father had been working and although he had life insurance, he had been the only one working and same with Hubs and I, only he was working. So money was tight!

Later the next year we tried getting pregnant, but it wasn't happening. My doctor just suggest I "lose weight" so I went at it again and lost an additional 20lbs, and boom, I became pregnant. Then in 2009 (at about 6 months pregnant) my father-in-law became ill and died a few weeks later. He had been a smoker, and had many other illnesses. Both my father and he were about 45 years old!

So along with having to help pay for another funeral we were now more worried than ever about our health and money! Then we found out that Hubs lost his job because he had missed too many days of work while trying to get everything together for his Dads funeral. So now with only one income (My Mothers) things just became too much!

We have saved, paid bills, been healthy and green for about two years now! I'm at abut 170 and Hubs is at about 240! Our family's average weight is about 250! (Sorry guys!) 


So what's my point? We are still tight with money, but we only have one major payment (our van) and no other debt! Hubs had been jobless for over a year and finally got a job and we had signed up for our local Food Stamps Government Program and get enough for about $100 a week (maybe), but we have to feed my mom too (we don't get benefits for her). So even though we get our food paid for we don't take advantage of it.... we use it like it's our own money.

I know I've gotten lost of questions about Couponing... see last weeks Menu Plan Monday post.... and then got an email from a fellow blogger who wanted to start a weekly Q&A! So I jumped right on it! You to can participate or just come back every week to see what everyone else says!

============================

Danielle Liss saw Extreme Couponing for the first time last week. (If you haven't seen it, click on the link and watch some of the clips.)  Danielle asked friends from all areas of the blog world to participate in an interview regarding groceries and coupons.  If you want to participate, please feel free to copy the questions.  Danielle plans to post a link to all of the answers, so send your link to dsliss [at] gmail [dot] com.  

1.  Do you use coupons for groceries? Oh yeah! I usually shop at H-E-B for groceries since they usually have better deals than other local stores.

2.  What is the primary source of your coupons? Right now it would be printed manufactured coupons! And I print from sites like WUC or MyPoints. (affiliate)

3.  Have you ever purchased food that you would not normally eat because you have a coupon?  Remember any examples? I usually DO NOT buy food just to use a coupon. BUT, if the item comes out free or less than $.50 I might buy it. I know that there was a coupon at the end of last year for those Coffee Packets and we don't drink coffee but my grandparents do, so I bought it for them! I made them a Christmas basket with their favorite fruits and snacks and added the FREE coffee! They loved it!

4.  When you grocery shop, what are the most important factors in your food choices? PRICE! Then... is this JUNK or NOT? I usually DO NOT buy candy or food that is not very healthy. I did buy Fruit by the Foot once and gave it out for Valentine's day

5.  Do you use reusable bags?  Why or why not?  YES! I use them because I do not want to use them to throw away trash! A few years ago I used them to make plarn and make reusable bags! Super fun. I received some Recycled/Biodegradable trash bags from ReUseIt.com and love them.

6.  If you had a coupon, would you purchase a stockpile items because of the deal? If it was FREE or close to FREE, then yes and again, only if it would benefit us!

7.  Do you plan your meals in advance?  What do you base your meal plan on? YES! I have been Menu Planning for years! I have been basing my meals on what we have and then only buy what we need for the week. I've done that for the past few months and have saved lots of money! One week, i didn't buy any groceries (two weeks I think)! I link up with OrgJunkie.com 

8.  Have you ever tried to coupon to get items for free or close to nothing?  How did it go?  Do you still coupon? I have! I plan what I'm going to buy before going to the store so I know what I willl get FREE, if I don't get it FREE I may just void that item. No biggie, there's always next time.

9.  Last one - What do you blog about?  (Or, as we learned in Bloggy Bootcamp, what's your elevator pitch?) Been a Green Mommy! I blog about lots of eco-friendly things, also about my family and local happenings as well how to save money! I have another site dedicated to losing weight for my wedding called Gaining & Losing

This was tons of fun! I love to share my deals with ya'll and hope to see some comments/thoughts/suggestions (only nice ones please)! Ohhh and would you like me to help you out and start your coupon insert stash?? Well, become a fan of The Mommy Blog fan page and read out to win 5 COUPON INSERTS!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 11th is Amoung Us *Movie Promo + Giveaway* CLOSED

I don't know about you but I was a senior in high school and I was late to Spanish class! I was able to see everything happening at home before leaving to school. It literally was unbelievable. Ever since then, every time there is a movie or documentary about the tragedy I just get pulled into watching and finding out all the different stories from family and friends is just amazing! On September 8th, 9/11 is going to be released in theaters!

COMMENT and TWEET below "Where you were on the morning of 9/11" for a chance to win A PRIZE PACK (Your email too).
The Prize Pack Contains: 1 - 9/11 poster Hand Signed Autographed by star Charlie Sheen 1 - “Hope” Pendant with necklace 1 - Guide to Talking To Your Children About 9/11 thanks to Tuesday’s Children
Tweet @9_11Movie and use the hashtag #Remember911 to pay tribute to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Twitter:@9_11Movie
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/911Movie/
Website:https://www.911movie.film

*********************** 9…

Get Lost in a Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farms

Join us this fall for the the 2017 Fall Festival & Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farm. Get lost in our 5-acre corn maze, pick your favorite pumpkin, feed the farm animals, and enjoy more than 30 exciting family activities while you listen to live Texas country & bluegrass music!

Barton Hill Farms is a scenic Texas farmstead on the banks of the Colorado River near Bastrop, just 25 minutes from Austin. Open Saturdays & Sundays from September 23rd to November 5th, just one week away! Fall officially starts on September 22nd!

And here's the best part! Get $1 off with this exclusive coupon when you buy your tickets online: http://bartonhillfarms.com

Tickets are $14 at the door or $13 when you buy them online.

What does your ticket include?
We have acres and acres of fun included in Farm Admission. Extra fee items: Face painting and pumpkins. Take a buzz on the new little Bee Train through a fantastic field of zinnias for a super thrill! Also new this Fall: Rubber Duck Race…

Ungrateful during Thanksgiving?

Hubby made me cry on Thanksgiving.... The usual share what you're thankful for, he just went all out talking about how we had one of the toughest years and we were apart from each other for six months and how much he missed us and it just sucked. Ohhhh, the waterfalls!! But yeah, it was the longest year ever. Speaking of Thanksgiving.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Reminds me of something that's been on my mind....

We just moved out of the valley and guess what?! The worst part moving to a new place was not the moving. Before we moved I scoped out our neighborhood, grocery stores, parks and I joined several mom groups. I knew negative Nancy’s were bound to share their troubles in Facebook groups but I’ve never heard so many complaints in one day.

I don’t know what it is but I don’t like when people complain. I just think to myself, “Did you really have to share that?” or about an easy solution to that complaint. There would have been a better way to spend your time than writing a n…