Skip to main content

Road Trip Tradition & Tips

In December of 2005 my father lost his battle with cancer. It was devastating. My sister and i were just starting our lives. We were both in college, I married with a baby and everything seemed like it was perfect. My mom and dad had just gotten home from a week long road trip to the east coast and my dad decided to go to the doctor. About a few weeks past and he found out it was cancer. Within 8 weeks he was gone..........

So there we were, left to help my mom plan the funeral. My husband and I decided to move back home to help out and support my mom. She was getting lots of nagging from the paternal family and she didn't need that.

By the following summer we all needed a break! My father loved to take road trips, even if it was just taking the "long way home" we considered that a road trip. We were all taught to live in the moment, take in nature and enjoy each other's company even if it meant saying nothing.

So that summer we rented a SUV and piled in my mom, me, my sister, my husband, her husband and my 1 year old! We drove up through central America with our main destinations being the Mall of America, Pike's Peak and Roswell. We also had a few stops along the way including museums and zoos!

Ofcourse it was during the end of summer. We loved that time because the traffic was low and the temperature is great! Each of us also love to drive, thanks to my dad. So we drove on.... changing the driver every 24hrs or so. And it's not a road trip without FOOD! It's no lie... my father was a big man. we loved to watch the food network and he dreamed of one day having a FOOD TRIP, where we would make a road trip with our destinations being all those famous eateries, diners and BBQ stops. YUMMMO!

It's also a tradition to play those annoying car games. My favorite is the Alphabet Game. I always win! But when all the games get boring we SING! We are a signing family. We bring our favorite CD's, not a whole bunch of them, just a select few. We try to keep our vehicle as clean as possible throughout the whole trip.

So a few tips for ya:
  1. Plan, but don't plan: I, like my father, love to plan and know when and where we're going to be at what time of the day. But it doesn't always go that way. So my husband taught me to just plan one, maybe two things per day, and to not get my panties in a bunch when things don't go my way! lol
  2. Be prepared: Of course, you can't be prepared for everything, but I like to have an Emergency Kit in the car at ALL times, not just on road trips. I pack, not just the necessities but the un-necessities like straws and feminine napkins and/or flash light!
  3. Have fun! I always take a bag of books, magazines, colors, paper, pencils. There's a game, well, it's not really a game... but something that has become a tradition, thanks to me, where I read an article from a magazine, or share interesting facts and that will start a debate or discussion for hours! Pick up a magazine from your neighbor or grandmother, you'll find some interesting stories there, believe me! lol
  4. Sack Lunch: Ohh, we love our sack lunches. And it's so easy and it will save you hundreds of dollars on a road trip. All you need: Half bag ice (keep in bag) 1 pack of deli meat, 1 pack of cheese, had full of condiments (from ur local fast food place), some fruit for dessert and your good to go! Don't forget the bread! Eat from it at least once a day and stock up at any grocery store, check if they have coupons too!
  5. Say Cheese! I love to take pictures, even if sometimes I don't take good pictures. These are some of my favorites. Taking pictures is a way to capture memories and always has been. We love to go over the pictures and then print out our favorite to share with family and friends... or now-a-days, just share them on facebook!



So, that's my story. We take a road trip every year and it's now a tradition and in memory of my father, Jose Francisco Jimenez! Even though there is an empty space in our hearts we fill it with his memory. Enough with the sob stories. I hope that you all will capture and cherish every road trip with your family. What was your favorite road trip? I'd love to hear your stories and/or tips that you might have or your favorite destinations.

I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Discount Tire blogging program, making me eligible to receive a $50 gift card and be entered for a chance to win a prize valued at $1,000. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

I also wrote this blog post because I believe in Discount Tire Company and we have always purchased our tires from them. They have excellent service and always offer Free Tire Rotations and will replace damaged tires due to a blowout or that darn pot hole down the street! So read the information below to learn more about them and make your visit to them before your next road trip.

About Dicount Tire:
Discount Tire specializes in tires and wheels. Their professionals are expertly trained in the latest product offerings, vehicle fitments, installation techniques, and safety and quality issues. This ensures the most appropriate products and services are presented for your vehicle. The type of vehicle, driving conditions, weather, and other issues all impact their custom recommendations to you. Their goal is to provide the lowest prices, quality products & the best customer service in the industry. Additionally, Discount Tire carries the largest selection of wheels and tires out there, including tire brands like Goodyear, Michelin & Yokohama, as well as wheel brands such as Enkei, MB and Voxx.

Winter Safety Tips
Winter Tires are designed to deliver safety and control in snow, ice, and cold weather conditions. Many people think that all-season tires can deliver this same performance, but this is not true. The superior traction that winter tires deliver, as much as a 25 to 50 percent increase over all-season tires, can very well be the margin you need to stop in time or turn to avoid trouble.

More info: http://discounttire.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/DiscountTire

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DiscountTire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 11th is Amoung Us *Movie Promo + Giveaway* CLOSED

I don't know about you but I was a senior in high school and I was late to Spanish class! I was able to see everything happening at home before leaving to school. It literally was unbelievable. Ever since then, every time there is a movie or documentary about the tragedy I just get pulled into watching and finding out all the different stories from family and friends is just amazing! On September 8th, 9/11 is going to be released in theaters!

COMMENT and TWEET below "Where you were on the morning of 9/11" for a chance to win A PRIZE PACK (Your email too).
The Prize Pack Contains: 1 - 9/11 poster Hand Signed Autographed by star Charlie Sheen 1 - “Hope” Pendant with necklace 1 - Guide to Talking To Your Children About 9/11 thanks to Tuesday’s Children
Tweet @9_11Movie and use the hashtag #Remember911 to pay tribute to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Twitter:@9_11Movie
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/911Movie/
Website:https://www.911movie.film

*********************** 9…

Get Lost in a Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farms

Join us this fall for the the 2017 Fall Festival & Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farm. Get lost in our 5-acre corn maze, pick your favorite pumpkin, feed the farm animals, and enjoy more than 30 exciting family activities while you listen to live Texas country & bluegrass music!

Barton Hill Farms is a scenic Texas farmstead on the banks of the Colorado River near Bastrop, just 25 minutes from Austin. Open Saturdays & Sundays from September 23rd to November 5th, just one week away! Fall officially starts on September 22nd!

And here's the best part! Get $1 off with this exclusive coupon when you buy your tickets online: http://bartonhillfarms.com

Tickets are $14 at the door or $13 when you buy them online.

What does your ticket include?
We have acres and acres of fun included in Farm Admission. Extra fee items: Face painting and pumpkins. Take a buzz on the new little Bee Train through a fantastic field of zinnias for a super thrill! Also new this Fall: Rubber Duck Race…

Ungrateful during Thanksgiving?

Hubby made me cry on Thanksgiving.... The usual share what you're thankful for, he just went all out talking about how we had one of the toughest years and we were apart from each other for six months and how much he missed us and it just sucked. Ohhhh, the waterfalls!! But yeah, it was the longest year ever. Speaking of Thanksgiving.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Reminds me of something that's been on my mind....

We just moved out of the valley and guess what?! The worst part moving to a new place was not the moving. Before we moved I scoped out our neighborhood, grocery stores, parks and I joined several mom groups. I knew negative Nancy’s were bound to share their troubles in Facebook groups but I’ve never heard so many complaints in one day.

I don’t know what it is but I don’t like when people complain. I just think to myself, “Did you really have to share that?” or about an easy solution to that complaint. There would have been a better way to spend your time than writing a n…