OMG! I feel like I've talked about this before.... I am a coupon, deal-seeking MOM! So, yeah, if you have noticed this weeks Fluff Talk Thursdays is about CD'ing on a TIGHT budget. I know that there are lots of resources out there for moms where you can get help with receiving cloth diapers. Cloth diapering is a great option if you are on a tight budget and can't afford the disposable diapers. I know that "sposies" have become the norm, but they have caused so much damage to our environment, that is one of the main reasons why we use CDs. At first it may become a daunting task and you might feel like you won't be able to do this on a TIGHT budget.
You might want to buy the cutest diapers, but when you look at the prices.... STICKER SHOCK! I know I did when I first did some research. If you are looking to CD here are some options you might want to consider these option before you start looking at retail stores.
- FRIENDS & FAMILY: Almost everyone has a few of those cloth diapers (flats or prefolds) that they sell at the store. Every time I go to a baby shower there are always a few of those gifts. And you should never be shy to ask them to lend or give them to you.
- Thrift Stores: Again, some of these places may have tons or none! I went to a few in my area and they did not know what I was talking about. Then I went to one and there were stacks and stacks of them. If you are worried about cleanliness ask if they wash their clothes when they receive them. You can always wash with clorox and then do extra rinses to get it out. You can also cut some fabric and sew over it (and it doesn't have to be perfect).
- Outlet Retailers: Retailers like Thirsties, one of my favorites, has an outlet! I've bought almost half of my thirsties from there and have had no problems with those diapers.
- Blog Giveaways/Contests: Do you have a blog? Do you read blogs? Well there are tons, and I mean tons of giveaways that end daily. I did this when I was still pregnant. I won like 3 diapers, detergent, inserts and a whole bunch of other stuff for the baby and me! This might get irritating after a while, but you meet so many new friends and you can even start your own blog to get stuff for free and do a review in the end.
- FREE Online Resources:
- FREECYCLE.ORG: I got my first fitteds from there. And if I were you I would definitely try this one first (if you don't want to ask friends and family).
- CRAIGSLIST.ORG: This one might be a last resort but you can also find moms who are selling perfectly new diapers on here.
- WISHUPONAHERO.COM: A website that is NEW. You make a wish and there are heroes who may answer your call for help. There are also forums on there like "Freebies" where people post stuff they have on hand who are willing to donate (these items go fast!)
This post is part of a weekly theme from Happily Domestic, Fluff Talk Thursday. Head on over to this weeks post HERE. She has some great tips and links where you can get diapers for only $6! That is pretty awesome.