Skip to main content

Mommy Q & A - Head Lice, Gross!

"Mommy, it itches!"

That is what I've been hearing for the past few days and it had been driving my hubby and I crazy! She (our 5 year old daughter) had also been scratching her head every 8 seconds! I had been checking her every night because we figured it was head lice, but no sign of them. Well, yesterday I flipped her hair and viola! I saw a ton of eggs. It was already 8pm and I though "ahhh, she has to stay up another 2-3 hours.

So this weeks question comes from me to you! I'd like to bust some myths that we always hear about lice in children. Don't forget adults can get them as well. In some areas lice infestations go up after spring break! Gross. But anyways, I hope this post makes you a bit more comfortable with lice and/or getting rid of those pesky critters.

I've come up with a few Q&A's:

  1. Where do we usually get lice from? Last year was the first year my daughter got lice and it was also her first year of preschool! So yes, children, especially girls, get lice usually from school.
  2. How we we get rid of them? I've done tons of research about head lice and the only way to get rid of them is to buy an over-the-counter or prescription (same thing) use the shampoo, get and pick out the lice eggs or nits one by one! There are so many people who say to wash all of their belongings, but if a lice happens to fall out of the hair, it will die!
  3. Do I tell my kids not to play with the dirty kids?Another myth is that if you have lice your hair is dirty..... NOT TRUE! Lice don't know the difference between clean or dirty hair.
  4. How do you get head lice? Well, there is only one way. When the female louse (lice) senses movement in the hair she will make her way to the ends of the hair and wait for another head of hair. There has to be head to head contact (hair) for about a minute for the transfer to be successful. So I suggest that we instill in our children a "personal space" rule, as I have.
  5. My child was sent home because she has lice. What now? Well, to tell you the truth many nurses send children home because they "Think" the child has head lice, doesn't mean they do. I suggest you go through your child's hair yourself. If you see tons of white eggs, then you are fine. These white eggs are hatched eggs and are called nits! If you see brown eggs you still don't have lice, these are just the eggs you can treat and they will more than likely die in a few hours. If you don't want to check yourself, just head on over to the doctor. So, just remove all the nits or eggs and send your child back to school.
  6. I don't see anymore nits or eggs, now what? Well, you should also check to see if there are any adult louse in your child's hair. For this you may have to look in your child's hair for the next few days. Check around the scalp and the ends of the hair. Again, if you are unsure see your doctor. Most schools may require doctors approval before letting your child back into the classroom.
Lots of parents get upset when their child has lice, but they are harmless and they probably won't go away for a long time. Kids are kids and don't forget that adults get them as well! If your child does go back to school, just let the teacher know to maybe remind the kids to not get too close to each other.

I found some great links that have some good information on how to get rid of them as well as lice information. Check them out.

Comments

  1. Such an informative post!! I remember having lice as a child and actually getting them frequently. The myth was that if you had lice meant you had dirty hair - so not the case!! I love reading your blogs!! Kudos Cj! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :)

    I would like to point out to your readers that more and more lice are becoming resistant to the active ingredients in the lice killing shampoos. You are better off using non-toxic methods to get rid of head lice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! Good point Martin @ Super-Lice. I also heard that lice are changing... It's awful when I see the little kiddos scratching their noggins!
    What's ur fav method?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?

Popular posts from this blog

September 11th is Amoung Us *Movie Promo + Giveaway* CLOSED

I don't know about you but I was a senior in high school and I was late to Spanish class! I was able to see everything happening at home before leaving to school. It literally was unbelievable. Ever since then, every time there is a movie or documentary about the tragedy I just get pulled into watching and finding out all the different stories from family and friends is just amazing! On September 8th, 9/11 is going to be released in theaters!

COMMENT and TWEET below "Where you were on the morning of 9/11" for a chance to win A PRIZE PACK (Your email too).
The Prize Pack Contains: 1 - 9/11 poster Hand Signed Autographed by star Charlie Sheen 1 - “Hope” Pendant with necklace 1 - Guide to Talking To Your Children About 9/11 thanks to Tuesday’s Children
Tweet @9_11Movie and use the hashtag #Remember911 to pay tribute to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Twitter:@9_11Movie
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/911Movie/
Website:https://www.911movie.film

*********************** 9…

Get Lost in a Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farms

Join us this fall for the the 2017 Fall Festival & Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farm. Get lost in our 5-acre corn maze, pick your favorite pumpkin, feed the farm animals, and enjoy more than 30 exciting family activities while you listen to live Texas country & bluegrass music!

Barton Hill Farms is a scenic Texas farmstead on the banks of the Colorado River near Bastrop, just 25 minutes from Austin. Open Saturdays & Sundays from September 23rd to November 5th, just one week away! Fall officially starts on September 22nd!

And here's the best part! Get $1 off with this exclusive coupon when you buy your tickets online: http://bartonhillfarms.com

Tickets are $14 at the door or $13 when you buy them online.

What does your ticket include?
We have acres and acres of fun included in Farm Admission. Extra fee items: Face painting and pumpkins. Take a buzz on the new little Bee Train through a fantastic field of zinnias for a super thrill! Also new this Fall: Rubber Duck Race…

Ungrateful during Thanksgiving?

Hubby made me cry on Thanksgiving.... The usual share what you're thankful for, he just went all out talking about how we had one of the toughest years and we were apart from each other for six months and how much he missed us and it just sucked. Ohhhh, the waterfalls!! But yeah, it was the longest year ever. Speaking of Thanksgiving.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Reminds me of something that's been on my mind....

We just moved out of the valley and guess what?! The worst part moving to a new place was not the moving. Before we moved I scoped out our neighborhood, grocery stores, parks and I joined several mom groups. I knew negative Nancy’s were bound to share their troubles in Facebook groups but I’ve never heard so many complaints in one day.

I don’t know what it is but I don’t like when people complain. I just think to myself, “Did you really have to share that?” or about an easy solution to that complaint. There would have been a better way to spend your time than writing a n…