Skip to main content

No Stinkies Here



Hello mommies!

I love to smell my babies bum! Is that weird. No, it's a miracle. I have joined many cloth diapering groups and forums and have seen many moms that say they can't get their diapers clean or smelling good. Then there are lots of other moms that say their diapers smell like Nothing and are happy with that.... WELL NOT ME!

I don't want my diapees to smell like nothing, I'd like to enjoy their smell as I pull them out of the washer or go outside to hang them on the line. And to be apart of Fluff Talk Thursday over at Happily Domestic I'd like to run through my diaper wash routine with you so you can try this out and see that you don't have to have regular smelling diapers.

First. We use prefolds and diaper covers, mostly Thirsties Covers & Duo Wraps. That is the cheapest for us since we are not only using Cloth Diapers because they are eco-friendly but also freindly on our budget. Also, as soon as the little one makes a poo I rinse in the tub with cold water and then put in the wetbag.

Second. We only have two large wetbags. I keep one in a bucket near the changing table and the other hooked onto the diaper bag via The Mommy Hook. I wash 2-3 times a week, on Mondays & Thursdays and sometimes Saturdays.

Third. Getting ready wash i get the two wetbags and put all the diapers & covers inside and the wetbag with the least diapers I just wipe clean with a wet cloth and put the other inside the washer as well. This is a cold rinse to get out any stains. About once a week I may also add 1/4 cup baking soda to the cold rinse cycle.
Then I do a hot wash with Rockin' Green Cloth Diaper Detergent (Cherry Almond) and once a week I add vinegar because I line dry. And when you add vinegar to the downy ball as it re-softens your diapers as well as a pH balance equilizer and eliminate soap residue. When I do add the vinegar I be sure to take out my diaper covers and just wash them with the next load of diapers.
Once the wash cycle is done I get one or two diapers out to make sure they smell delicious! Then I rub them together to see if any soap is left. About 99% of the time there is no soap left.

Fourth. I shake them out and go out to hang them on the line. I hang them up at around 10am and don't take them down until after I pick up my 5 year old at school at around 4pm. Once I bring them in. I lay them overnight on the dining room table so they can either finish drying and make the dining room smell clean as well!

The next morning I fold them up and they go back into our diaper rotation!

I'm so glad that I found Rockin' Green Detrgent. Before that I was using another detergent that I was recommended by a mama who contacted me via Freecycle when I was still pregnant and gave me some newborn diapees and I just didn't think that the diapers were getting clean. They really didn't have a smell and I didn't like it. I still use that detergent, I use in on the baby clothes. And I got my Rockin' Green when my little one was 3 or 4 months, she is now a few days shy of 8 months and I still have more than half a bag of detergent! That is awesome. And baking soda and vinegar are no more than $2 and I just bought some more soda.

Ohh and the eco-girl in me can't wait to reuse the Rockin' Green Detergent bag! I think I might turn it into a on-the-run purse! Just add a long handle and use it when I run to the post office or what not to throw in my cell phone, stamps, change and mail! Perfect. Plus I can show off the Rockin' Green Logo!

So Yup.... that's it. My secret to keeping my diapers smelling lovely. I'm looking forward to reading all the other entries over at Happily Domestic Fluff Talk Thursday.

Happy Smelling!


ps. I only buy seconds or via Diaperswappers & Thirsties Outlet! Thanks for letting us cloth diaper at bargain prices!

Comments

  1. Thanks for joining in. :-) Wow, you make washing diapers sound fun! lol.
    I think my stink issue may have to do with hard water not cleaning well or maybe I am not using the right detergent. At any rate I am determined to get to the bottom of this! :-) I really need to sun my diapers as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?

Popular posts from this blog

September 11th is Amoung Us *Movie Promo + Giveaway* CLOSED

I don't know about you but I was a senior in high school and I was late to Spanish class! I was able to see everything happening at home before leaving to school. It literally was unbelievable. Ever since then, every time there is a movie or documentary about the tragedy I just get pulled into watching and finding out all the different stories from family and friends is just amazing! On September 8th, 9/11 is going to be released in theaters!

COMMENT and TWEET below "Where you were on the morning of 9/11" for a chance to win A PRIZE PACK (Your email too).
The Prize Pack Contains: 1 - 9/11 poster Hand Signed Autographed by star Charlie Sheen 1 - “Hope” Pendant with necklace 1 - Guide to Talking To Your Children About 9/11 thanks to Tuesday’s Children
Tweet @9_11Movie and use the hashtag #Remember911 to pay tribute to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Twitter:@9_11Movie
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/911Movie/
Website:https://www.911movie.film

*********************** 9…

Get Lost in a Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farms

Join us this fall for the the 2017 Fall Festival & Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farm. Get lost in our 5-acre corn maze, pick your favorite pumpkin, feed the farm animals, and enjoy more than 30 exciting family activities while you listen to live Texas country & bluegrass music!

Barton Hill Farms is a scenic Texas farmstead on the banks of the Colorado River near Bastrop, just 25 minutes from Austin. Open Saturdays & Sundays from September 23rd to November 5th, just one week away! Fall officially starts on September 22nd!

And here's the best part! Get $1 off with this exclusive coupon when you buy your tickets online: http://bartonhillfarms.com

Tickets are $14 at the door or $13 when you buy them online.

What does your ticket include?
We have acres and acres of fun included in Farm Admission. Extra fee items: Face painting and pumpkins. Take a buzz on the new little Bee Train through a fantastic field of zinnias for a super thrill! Also new this Fall: Rubber Duck Race…

Hickies: Back-to-School Series #1

Every Friday in the month of September I will share a few tips for making the transition for both kids and parents a bit easier. This first one is a doozie! HICKIES! Keep reading to learn what I'm talking about.... I try to buy my girls (i have 3 school-aged daughters) two or more pairs of shoes; an active shoe, which usually has laces, and a more casual/formal shoe, which usually doesn't have laces. Which ones do they choose to wear nearly every day to school? The ones that have shoe laces! Of course my oldes daughter, who's now 13, can tie her own shoes, but the other two still need help. And let's be real, even the oldest one I find myself nagging her to tie her laces correctly, she gets sloppy in the mornings at times. Here come HICKIES to save the day!

Hate tying your kids' shoes everyday before they step out of the house? Hate stopping to tie your own shoes mid-run? HICKIES products turn any pair of sneakers into convenient, comfortable, and stylish slip-on…