Friday, November 13

Chicken Barley Chili ~ Recipe & Review

Chicken Barley Chili ~ Recipe & Review

My 5 year old loves soups! Since Sunday of last week she has been asking me that she wants warm belly soup! Finally I made some today. At first I was just going to make a simple chicken soup but I didn't have time to go to the farmer's market to get the veggies. So I opened the cabinet last night and I saw the Quaker Barley box. I looked at the back of it, I save and use lots of can and box recipes, and there was a recipe for Chicken Barley Chili. Hmmm..... I had all the ingredients, which isn't a whole lot, and I had defrosted and cooked some chicken the night before as well as saved the chicken broth. So Yum! I thought for sure my Vetty (her name is Yvette) will love this recipe. BTW she loves the Wendy's Chili.

So at 5pm I got out all the ingredients (canned tomato, corn, black beans, tomato sauce, spices, broth, and chicken). And it was ready in less than 30 minutes!

Here's the Recipe:

Chicken Barley Chili
1 (14.5oz) can Tomatoes, diced, undrained (may use seaseoned tomatoes)
1 (16oz) jar/can Salsa or tomato sauce
1 (14.5oz) can Fat free chicken broth
1 cup Quaker Quick Barley
3 cups Water
1 tbls Chili power
1 tsp Cumin
1 (15oz) can Black beans, drained, rinsed
1 (15 1/4oz) can Corn, whole kernel or corn with peppers, undrained
3 cups Chicken breast, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
Reduced or no fat cheddar cheese (optional)
Reduced fat or fat free sour cream (optional)

In 6-quart saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients. Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender. If uponstanding the chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency. If desired, top with shredded cheese and sour cream.

MAKES 11 (1 cup) servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER 1 CUP SERVING: Calories 270, Fat 4 g, Calories from Fat 30, % Calories from Fat 12%, Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 700 mg, Carbohydrate 7g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Protein 32g.

The Outcome: It actually was ready in less than 30 minutes. I think it was because I had everything opened and ready to go. I also put in the barley right as it began to boil. My husband doesn't like the barley so tough, so that's why I put it in a bit early. I also had the chicken in sooner so it could soak up and distribute the flavor that had as well. Okay, so I did a bit of tweakin'. That's my thing! :p

So, let me say... Vetty loved it. She liked the crunch of the corn and it definately gave her warm soup belly. Here are some pics.


This review is of both Quaker Quick Barley and their recipe. First rating is on the Quaker Quick Barley and the second is on the Chicken Barley Chili Recipe from the back of the Quaker Quick Barley box.

Cost: Very Affordable/Affordable
The box of the Quaker Barley is under $3 and can be found in most grocery stores in you area. I bought mine at H-E-B, can't recall the price.
The recip calls for mostly canned vegetables which can be as low as $1 so the average price for this recipe would range anywhere between $7-$13. This recipe can also serve up to 11 servings. So that is still a bargain price per person.

Preparation: Easy - Less than 5 minutes
The preparation for this dish was super easy. I usually cook ahead beef or chicken that I know I will be using during the week. So, I had my chicken breasts pre-cooked. All I had to do was chop it into bite size pieces, I did them a bit larger. I then had to wait for the broth to boil before adding the cans of vegetables. That was that!

Cooking
Time
: 20 minutes
The box states to bring to a boil and then simmer for 20-25 minutes, total time. Since I threw in the barley ahead of schedule the actual cooking time was less than 20 minutes. I also had everything ready to go which made everything go a bit quicker.

Texture
: Nice 'N Chunky
We love chunky in this family. So, no complaints. You could chop the chicken into small peices or get a smaller diced tomato and use pinto or navy beans. The beans were soft and the corn was crunchy. You could also mash everything up a bit to give it a more thick consistency.

Taste
: Taste can be determined while preparing the dish. You can add as much cumin or chili powder as needed. We are from Mexican heritage, so we added a bit more cumin and chili to the dish, which makes your mouth water a bit more.

Smell
: Chili
The smell while it was cooking was a bit bland. But as it simmered and you opened the lid to stir or what not you could smell the chili powder making its way into every nook n crany. YUM!

Overall
: Extra Large
This recipe is definitely in our cycle of recipes. I don't even think I need the recipe any more. It's stuck in my head.


NOTE: If there is something that you'd like me to consider or suggest a product for me to review, use the Contact link at the top of the page or leave a comment here. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?

Labels

#flatschallenge #gotitfree #MAAM #mam #momfail #teamannies #wbn2013 2015 2016 2weekchallenge 30 day challenge 31days 365 Project 4th of july 6 week challenge 9/11 a time to give ABE about me advice All About Me annaleah announcement austin baby baby led weaning baby wearing BAMBOO PINK beauty behavior bento birthday birthday bash blog blog award blog everyday blog hop blog party blogging carnival Blogorama 2011 bluebonnets bogo book club book review bootcamp breakfast business bzzagent c25k cafemom carnival CD challenge challenge children christmasfacebookchallenge clearance clever girls cloth diapers combo loco contest corn maze coupon coupons craft credit CTWW CVS daddy daybook deals n steals diaper tip tuesday DIY diy toddler do something donate dvd review earth day easter eco friendly Eco Nuts eco-friendly education eliada enter to win event events everyday living exercise extra entries fabulous mami facebook fall family family-friendly farmers markets fashion series favorite feature first blog post first day of school fitness fluff talk thursday following friday foo food for mom for the home free freecycle frontera audubon frugal fun in the sun garden gardening gcdc gift cards gift ideas give giveaway gmo gmo-free going green event green green detergent green tip tuesday guest post halloween harlingen haul health healthy healthy tuesday HEB help hiking hispanic history hol holi holiday home remedy homemade Homemaker Monday hot topics how to Hubs ibotta icecream idea ihop improving birth improvingbirth.org improvingbirth13 influenster instagram internet jarritos job just write kid-friendly kindness krgv labor day latinfoodfest13 lenten recipe life update linky lists litter free lunch challenge local lowe's lunch Make a wish making memories mam mamapedia mamasource mamavation mamavation tv march against monsanto match match-up me time meme menu menu plan monday mexican mfp milestone moby MOM ACROSS AMERICA mom bloggers club mom life mom of 3 girls momsmeet momtv monday must-sees mother movie mtv music my girls my life my style my time myblogspark mystery shopping newborn week news no internet o2o odd topic tuesday offer online oprah organic organize organizing challenge other pampers parenting people's climate march periscope permaculture personal photography pinterest play time plus size points pottytraining pregnancy pregnancy journal press release pro life project lunch box challenge purex purex fresh bluebonnet purex insiders q and a reading list real diaper week rebate recipes recycle religion remedies resolution restaurant restaurant reviews reuse revew review reviews rewards rgv right to choose sale saturday save say hi sunday scentsy school series shespeaks shopping social insiders south texas sparkle people speech therapy sponsor sponsored spring break sprouts staycation suggestions summer summer blog challenge Sundays in my city sweepstakes texas thanksgiving the view thursday night special tips toddler toddler talk thursday toddler trouble toddlers tv twitter twitter moms twitter party TX Summer unadvertised deals upcycle update vacation valentines VEDA vicky's deals video Vlog VLOGGING PROMPTS vlogmas vma vote wahm walgreens waste free wedding wednesday wisdom week of green weekly deals weight weight loss wendy's weslaco win winners wool Wordless Wednesday world book night world food day writers workshop writing promps writing prompts WUC year in review yoga young living youtube ytmm yvette zero waste week