Skip to main content

A Time to Give

Boy has it been a busy week... You know being a mom it seems like every week is a busy week. But we do need a time for ourselves or a time that we can call our own and do something that we love. We can find time for ourselves but also use that time to give to someone else. Do one thing to help out yourself and another, and it would be even better if it was a mother!

Recently my grandmother has not been feeling so well. She's had lots of appointments and hospital visits to do extra tests and stuff. Yet, at home she's still doing her daily routine of sweeping, ironing, laundry and more. Recently her oldest son moved in because of personal problems, so she's taken more on. She just tunred 79 years old and I wanted to help her out.

When we were younger, I have another younger sister, we would go over to grandmas and sit on the couch to watch tv or play outside and occassionally my grandmother would have us rake the leaves or help her clean beans, it didn't seem like a chore to us, we were just spending time with grandma and having fun. Now when I go over I sometimes do some dishes.

Now for me relaxing certainly isn't doing house chores, but when I'm doing it for someone else it does seem a bit relaxing and a stress releiver. Something like when I go grocery shopping, if I'm with someone else I feel rushed and want to go in and out as quickly as I can, but when I go alone, I like to take my time, I take my iPod and hum as I shop. Same thing with housework. So, I knew she had a doctors appointment and they never take less than two hours. When I got there at 8am she was already gone and no one was home. So first thing I did was put in her new plants, she loves buying new plants. Then I watered the grass a bit and head on inside. She had a pile of dishes from dinner and I got those washed, and put a load of clothes in the washer while I swept the whole house. It's not a big house, probably under 1,000 sq ft. I also organized the living room, picking up newspapers and mail and stacking them neatly.

I left a note that said thank you for everything and I can never repay you, but I did some housework for you, NOW RELAX! She called to thank me and said that I forgot to take the clothes out of the washer! That's grandma for you.

So, if there's something that you love to do and you want to get out of the house and into someone elses, jump up and do it. Someone will appreciate it and you can get some alone time as well.

This post is apart of Saving and Giving's "A Time To Give." Jennifer hosts it and if you would like to be apart of it or would like to read some ideas on how you can give head on over and leave a comment or write your own blog.

Comments

  1. My mom and I always talk about how it's more fun to clean someone else's house. Maybe we should swap on a weekly basis! I bet your grandma appreciated the time to sit down and not have to worry about what needed cleaned up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a nice thing to do. Another way you can minister to your grandmother is to go over and have a cup of tea with her. Let her tell you about the good old days. I used to do this with my favorite aunt and will always cherish those memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?

Popular posts from this blog

September 11th is Amoung Us *Movie Promo + Giveaway* CLOSED

I don't know about you but I was a senior in high school and I was late to Spanish class! I was able to see everything happening at home before leaving to school. It literally was unbelievable. Ever since then, every time there is a movie or documentary about the tragedy I just get pulled into watching and finding out all the different stories from family and friends is just amazing! On September 8th, 9/11 is going to be released in theaters!

COMMENT and TWEET below "Where you were on the morning of 9/11" for a chance to win A PRIZE PACK (Your email too).
The Prize Pack Contains: 1 - 9/11 poster Hand Signed Autographed by star Charlie Sheen 1 - “Hope” Pendant with necklace 1 - Guide to Talking To Your Children About 9/11 thanks to Tuesday’s Children
Tweet @9_11Movie and use the hashtag #Remember911 to pay tribute to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Twitter:@9_11Movie
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/911Movie/
Website:https://www.911movie.film

*********************** 9…

Get Lost in a Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farms

Join us this fall for the the 2017 Fall Festival & Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farm. Get lost in our 5-acre corn maze, pick your favorite pumpkin, feed the farm animals, and enjoy more than 30 exciting family activities while you listen to live Texas country & bluegrass music!

Barton Hill Farms is a scenic Texas farmstead on the banks of the Colorado River near Bastrop, just 25 minutes from Austin. Open Saturdays & Sundays from September 23rd to November 5th, just one week away! Fall officially starts on September 22nd!

And here's the best part! Get $1 off with this exclusive coupon when you buy your tickets online: http://bartonhillfarms.com

Tickets are $14 at the door or $13 when you buy them online.

What does your ticket include?
We have acres and acres of fun included in Farm Admission. Extra fee items: Face painting and pumpkins. Take a buzz on the new little Bee Train through a fantastic field of zinnias for a super thrill! Also new this Fall: Rubber Duck Race…

Ungrateful during Thanksgiving?

Hubby made me cry on Thanksgiving.... The usual share what you're thankful for, he just went all out talking about how we had one of the toughest years and we were apart from each other for six months and how much he missed us and it just sucked. Ohhhh, the waterfalls!! But yeah, it was the longest year ever. Speaking of Thanksgiving.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Reminds me of something that's been on my mind....

We just moved out of the valley and guess what?! The worst part moving to a new place was not the moving. Before we moved I scoped out our neighborhood, grocery stores, parks and I joined several mom groups. I knew negative Nancy’s were bound to share their troubles in Facebook groups but I’ve never heard so many complaints in one day.

I don’t know what it is but I don’t like when people complain. I just think to myself, “Did you really have to share that?” or about an easy solution to that complaint. There would have been a better way to spend your time than writing a n…