Thursday, October 8

A Time to Give: Coupon HERO!


Welcome to another week to learn how to give to those less fortunate or not! This week I want to talk about my shopping trip I had a couple weeks ago....

I usually go shopping on the weekends or towards the beginning of a new week to make sure sale items are still in stock. Well, I headed on over to H-E-B to get some detergent, eggs, bread and ham. I had coupons for all of them and i decided to take my coupon folder incase I saw any deals. When I do this I always tell myself only if it's under $1 will I take it, that way I don't get coupon happy! Anyways, so I got the bread and ham first (buy ham, get free bread) and I had a few stares because I was checking the prices of cheese to see if my coupons made the final price equal less than $1. Then I headed on over to the eggs to get egglands best, also had a coupon. Then to the detergent to get Surf for $.99! I used the $3.00 off coupon that was in the paper that week in Parage Mag. I was one of the lucky ones. I saw a lady standing staring at the detergent and looking in her purse. I figured she was checking if she had enough money to buy detergent. I have done that many times before I became a couponer. Well, I went over to the lady and asked her what kind of detergent she used and she said with a giggle, "The one that's cheaper." So I handed her one of my $3.00 off coupons. I had a total of 4 because my grandparents let me cut their coupons (Shhh!). I was only going to use one today. She looked at me like why the heck are you giving me a coupon. Then I told her that I've been using coupons for almost a year and i save lots of money, so the family can go out and do stuff every once in a while.... Then I got to the point and said that she can get this detergent for only $.99! Then she had a "thank you" look on her face. And she goes on and tells me that her husband gives her a "shopping" allowance every week for necessities because he may lose his job soon. We chit chatted a bit longer and then I had to go because I had eggs!
So that's my "A Time to Give" story for this week. There have been other times that I get bad looks for using coupons and the checker taking forever to make sure I have the right amount of items or what not. But then they give my my original total and then see what the final total is. That shuts them up (most of the time). I think they're just jealous. But anywho, it makes me feel good when I share my coupons as well and even happier when they appreciate it!
So next time you see someone debating which product to buy and you have a coupon on you... give it up!
For other tips and suggestions on how you can help others head on over to Jen's Savings and Giving website and see her post on "A Time to Give." This week she's talking about the food shortage at food banks.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fun to give away coupons and give people just a small taste of what it's like to save big? I had fun the last time my Kroger store did triple coupons. There was a lady who was buying Scotch mailing products, and I had some of those coupons. I didn't really need the mailing products, so I asked her if she wanted them. She was glad to have them, and I was glad to share!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?

Labels

#flatschallenge #gotitfree #MAAM #mam #momfail #teamannies #wbn2013 2015 2016 2weekchallenge 30 day challenge 31days 365 Project 4th of july 6 week challenge 9/11 a time to give ABE about me advice All About Me annaleah announcement atx austin baby baby led weaning baby number 4 baby wearing BAMBOO PINK beauty behavior bento birthday birthday bash blog blog award blog everyday blog hop blog party blogging carnival Blogorama 2011 bluebonnets bogo book club book review bootcamp breakfast business bzzagent c25k cafemom carnival CD challenge challenge children christmasfacebookchallenge clearance clever girls cloth diapers combo loco contest corn maze coupon coupons craft credit CTWW CVS daddy daybook deals n steals diaper tip tuesday DIY diy toddler do something donate dvd review earth day easter eco friendly Eco Nuts eco-friendly education eliada enter to win event events everyday living exercise extra entries fabulous mami facebook fall family family-friendly farmers markets fashion series favorite feature first blog post first day of school fitness fluff talk thursday following friday foo food for mom for the home free freecycle frontera audubon frugal fun in the sun garden gardening gcdc gift cards gift ideas give giveaway gmo gmo-free going green event green green detergent green tip tuesday guest post halloween harlingen haul health healthy healthy tuesday HEB help hiking hispanic history hol holi holiday home remedy homemade Homemaker Monday hot topics how to Hubs ibotta icecream idea ihop improving birth improvingbirth.org improvingbirth13 influenster instagram internet jarritos job just write kid-friendly kindness krgv labor day latinfoodfest13 lenten recipe life update linky lists litter free lunch challenge local lowe's lunch Make a wish making memories mam mamapedia mamasource mamavation mamavation tv march against monsanto match match-up me time meme menu menu plan monday mexican mfp milestone moby MOM ACROSS AMERICA mom bloggers club mom life mom of 3 girls momsmeet momtv monday must-sees mother movie mtv music my girls my life my style my time myblogspark mystery shopping newborn week news nicu no internet o2o odd topic tuesday offer online oprah organic organize organizing challenge other pampers parenting people's climate march periscope permaculture personal photography pinterest play time plus size points pottytraining preemie pregnancy pregnancy journal press release pro life project lunch box challenge purex purex fresh bluebonnet purex insiders q and a reading list real diaper week rebate recipes recycle religion remedies resolution restaurant restaurant reviews reuse revew review reviews rewards rgv right to choose sale saturday save say hi sunday scentsy school series shespeaks shopping social insiders south texas sparkle people speech therapy sponsor sponsored spring break sprouts staycation suggestions summer summer blog challenge Sundays in my city sweepstakes texas thanksgiving the view thursday night special tips toddler toddler talk thursday toddler trouble toddlers tv twitter twitter moms twitter party TX Summer unadvertised deals upcycle update vacation valentines VEDA vicky's deals video Vlog VLOGGING PROMPTS vlogmas vma vote wahm walgreens waste free wedding wednesday wisdom week of green weekly deals weight weight loss wendy's weslaco win winners wool Wordless Wednesday world book night world food day writers workshop writing promps writing prompts WUC year in review yoga young living youtube ytmm yvette zero waste week