Skip to main content

Wednesday Wisdom

Wednesday Wisdom is full of facts and tales!

Come by each week to learn something that I learned and want to share with you.

This week I went to Target to use my target coupons to buy Johnson bar soap and baby q-tips (I only buy when I need them or can get them close to free). I saw that the Johnson bar soap was on sale for 1.26 and 1-tips for 1.46 (or close to it). I planned on getting two of each even though I only had two $1 off Johnson toiletries. When i got to the register the cashier scanned both coupons, one beeped (it didn't go through), he looked at it and sort of looked my way and told me my total and put both coupons in the coupon accordion! I was astonished! He didn't tell me nor attempt to see why it didn't go through. I got so upset, but said nothing because I didn't want to get him fired or anything. So I paid him and then kindly asked him if he could give me back the coupon that didn't go through. He stood there for a second, looking at me, not knowing what to say while I was looking at the receipt to double check. I then showed him the receipt and said, "See? Only one coupon scanned because I only got one $1.00 off here on the receipt." I offered him the receipt and he looked at it, even though he knew I was right, and said, "Oh, you're right." He didn't offer to try to re-scan and I said thank you and that I didn't appreciate him trying to fool a coupon mom like that. I walked out the store proudly! When I got home I emailed Target and have yet to receive a response. I will update when I do.

Here are some shopping tips for you gals & guys from Eversave.

Are You Supermarket Savvy? Test Your Grocery Smarts
By Julia Gaynor



How smart of a shopper are you? There are certain “supermarket tricks” that savvy shoppers use to save big, but what are they – and do you know the fact from fiction? Test your supermarket smarts in this true or false test.

True or False? To get the freshest milk and other products out of the refrigerated dairy case, reach towards the back because that’s where they put the newest (aka freshest) items.

True. Whether they stock from the front or back of the case, the best way to tell if something’s fresh is to check the expiration date. But, if all of the dates are the same, the items in the back will be “freshest” because they’re furthest from the door – which is always being open and shut by customers.

True or False? To get extra savings, wait to buy products the day they expire.

False. Unless you plan on using them within hours, you’re taking a pretty big risk buying soon-to-expire food. If the groceries rot before you have a chance to eat them, you’ve wasted the entire cost of your purchase.

True or False? The “end cap” items at the end of supermarket aisles are always the best buys.

False. Sometimes, those items are on sale, but sometimes, they’re just the ones the store managers want you to buy. Look carefully to make sure they’re really on sale before adding those items to your cart.

True or False? The cheapest items are usually on the lowest shelves.

True. This is a supermarket tactic is tried and true, and even if your store doesn’t use it, it’s used often enough for us to suggest that you don’t ignore those bottom shelves! You never know what you’d find down there…

True or False? Even though they’re on sale, dented cans should be avoided.

True. It’s tempting to look at a dented can of tuna that’s over half off and think, “What harm could a little dent do?” The truth is, a little dent could do a lot of harm, potentially letting air into your food and causing food-borne botulism. So, to be on the safe side, steer clear of dented cans and find your bargins elsewhere.

True or False? It’s always cheaper to buy in bulk.

True. Of course, this is definitely true when buying non-perishable items, and particularly if your family includes more than one person. But don’t buy perishables in bulk or you could be wasting – not savings.

Please feel free to offer your shopping tips and advice you use when visiting your local supermarket.

My tip is to visit your deli regularly and make nice with the Deli Man! On occasion he/she will put an extra slice or two after he's already measured... he cut too much anyways and he/she
knows I'll be back to buy more. Always say thank you and take his suggestions! Thanks HEB.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 11th is Amoung Us *Movie Promo + Giveaway* CLOSED

I don't know about you but I was a senior in high school and I was late to Spanish class! I was able to see everything happening at home before leaving to school. It literally was unbelievable. Ever since then, every time there is a movie or documentary about the tragedy I just get pulled into watching and finding out all the different stories from family and friends is just amazing! On September 8th, 9/11 is going to be released in theaters!

COMMENT and TWEET below "Where you were on the morning of 9/11" for a chance to win A PRIZE PACK (Your email too).
The Prize Pack Contains: 1 - 9/11 poster Hand Signed Autographed by star Charlie Sheen 1 - “Hope” Pendant with necklace 1 - Guide to Talking To Your Children About 9/11 thanks to Tuesday’s Children
Tweet @9_11Movie and use the hashtag #Remember911 to pay tribute to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Twitter:@9_11Movie
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/911Movie/
Website:https://www.911movie.film

*********************** 9…

Get Lost in a Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farms

Join us this fall for the the 2017 Fall Festival & Corn Maze at Barton Hill Farm. Get lost in our 5-acre corn maze, pick your favorite pumpkin, feed the farm animals, and enjoy more than 30 exciting family activities while you listen to live Texas country & bluegrass music!

Barton Hill Farms is a scenic Texas farmstead on the banks of the Colorado River near Bastrop, just 25 minutes from Austin. Open Saturdays & Sundays from September 23rd to November 5th, just one week away! Fall officially starts on September 22nd!

And here's the best part! Get $1 off with this exclusive coupon when you buy your tickets online: http://bartonhillfarms.com

Tickets are $14 at the door or $13 when you buy them online.

What does your ticket include?
We have acres and acres of fun included in Farm Admission. Extra fee items: Face painting and pumpkins. Take a buzz on the new little Bee Train through a fantastic field of zinnias for a super thrill! Also new this Fall: Rubber Duck Race…

Ungrateful during Thanksgiving?

Hubby made me cry on Thanksgiving.... The usual share what you're thankful for, he just went all out talking about how we had one of the toughest years and we were apart from each other for six months and how much he missed us and it just sucked. Ohhhh, the waterfalls!! But yeah, it was the longest year ever. Speaking of Thanksgiving.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Reminds me of something that's been on my mind....

We just moved out of the valley and guess what?! The worst part moving to a new place was not the moving. Before we moved I scoped out our neighborhood, grocery stores, parks and I joined several mom groups. I knew negative Nancy’s were bound to share their troubles in Facebook groups but I’ve never heard so many complaints in one day.

I don’t know what it is but I don’t like when people complain. I just think to myself, “Did you really have to share that?” or about an easy solution to that complaint. There would have been a better way to spend your time than writing a n…