Thursday, September 24

A Time to EAT!


This week on A Time to Give I didn't know what I would write about. I was watching the news and there was a picture of a pumpkin pie. Personally, I don't like pumpkin pie... gross, too mushy (that's why I don't like applesauce either). Then there were highlights of the high school football game. Then I had a flashback of when I was in highschool and every year around Thanksgiving I would do lots of volunteering. This week I will post one of those volunteering experiences, since it's getting close to that time of the year again.

So, all four years of high schol I was in Student Council and I loved it. Especially when we would have conferences and we all put our head together. I had lots of school spirit. Really, I just wanted to better our school. I loved to learn and didn't see why some guys and girls would get all boy/girl crazy. I had one boyfriend and stuck to him and that was that! lol Anywho.... getting off track.

So, when Turkey time got close we would put a volunteer sign-up sheet for the annual "Feast of Sharing" hosted by H.E.B. (grocery store). Me and my friends would be the first to sign up ofcourse. The Feast of Sharing was a one day event held in a big hall or convention center and H.E.B. would prove all the food (Thanksgiving Dinner) and everyone else was a volunteer. Volunteers were from high schools, businesses and the public. We would serve Thanksgiving dinner plates from 11am till 3pm. And boy were the lines long. The first year, I remember I handed out utensil packets. My feet were killing me. But when you see a face that you know that this will be their only meal of the day *tear* you know you are doing something good and it fills your hear with goodness. The second year I actually passed out the plates (me and my boyfriend ;-)) and you acutally hear the "Thank you's" and "God Bless You." We would take pictures and show them when we got back to school.

The last two years I didn't volunteer, but my family and I went to enjoy a thanksgiving dinner and games for the kids. With hubby and I with no steady job, we never say no to a free meal.

Thanks H.E.B!

A Time to Give is hosted by Jennifer over at Saving and Giving. Each Thursday she posts what she has done or did. I found her blog a few months ago and love it. She shares ways to save & give! haha. This week she donated to a Woman's Shelter. To read on how other people are giving visit her blog HERE. If you host a blog why not share how you have given to someone in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing what a few hours of your time can do? We can't ever do a big event like this by ourselves, but when we all come together, we can do some amazing things! I'm sure that those people's lives were touched in big ways. And it obviously made an impact on your, as you're retelling the story years later. This is a great reminder to us all to start thinking about ways we can lend a hand during Thanksgiving this year! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?

Labels

#flatschallenge #gotitfree #MAAM #mam #momfail #teamannies #wbn2013 2015 2016 2weekchallenge 30 day challenge 31days 365 Project 4th of july 6 week challenge 9/11 a time to give ABE about me advice All About Me annaleah announcement atx austin baby baby led weaning baby number 4 baby wearing BAMBOO PINK beauty behavior bento birthday birthday bash blog blog award blog everyday blog hop blog party blogging carnival Blogorama 2011 bluebonnets bogo book club book review bootcamp breakfast business bzzagent c25k cafemom carnival CD challenge challenge children christmasfacebookchallenge clearance clever girls cloth diapers combo loco contest corn maze coupon coupons craft credit CTWW CVS daddy daybook deals n steals diaper tip tuesday DIY diy toddler do something donate dvd review earth day easter eco friendly Eco Nuts eco-friendly education eliada enter to win event events everyday living exercise extra entries fabulous mami facebook fall family family-friendly farmers markets fashion series favorite feature first blog post first day of school fitness fluff talk thursday following friday foo food for mom for the home free freecycle frontera audubon frugal fun in the sun garden gardening gcdc gift cards gift ideas give giveaway gmo gmo-free going green event green green detergent green tip tuesday guest post halloween harlingen haul health healthy healthy tuesday HEB help hiking hispanic history hol holi holiday home remedy homemade Homemaker Monday hot topics how to Hubs ibotta icecream idea ihop improving birth improvingbirth.org improvingbirth13 influenster instagram internet jarritos job just write kid-friendly kindness krgv labor day latinfoodfest13 lenten recipe life update linky lists litter free lunch challenge local lowe's lunch Make a wish making memories mam mamapedia mamasource mamavation mamavation tv march against monsanto match match-up me time meme menu menu plan monday mexican mfp milestone moby MOM ACROSS AMERICA mom bloggers club mom life mom of 3 girls momsmeet momtv monday must-sees mother movie mtv music my girls my life my style my time myblogspark mystery shopping newborn week news nicu no internet o2o odd topic tuesday offer online oprah organic organize organizing challenge other pampers parenting people's climate march periscope permaculture personal photography pinterest play time plus size points pottytraining preemie pregnancy pregnancy journal press release pro life project lunch box challenge purex purex fresh bluebonnet purex insiders q and a reading list real diaper week rebate recipes recycle religion remedies resolution restaurant restaurant reviews reuse revew review reviews rewards rgv right to choose sale saturday save say hi sunday scentsy school series shespeaks shopping social insiders south texas sparkle people speech therapy sponsor sponsored spring break sprouts staycation suggestions summer summer blog challenge Sundays in my city sweepstakes texas thanksgiving the view thursday night special tips toddler toddler talk thursday toddler trouble toddlers tv twitter twitter moms twitter party TX Summer unadvertised deals upcycle update vacation valentines VEDA vicky's deals video Vlog VLOGGING PROMPTS vlogmas vma vote wahm walgreens waste free wedding wednesday wisdom week of green weekly deals weight weight loss wendy's weslaco win winners wool Wordless Wednesday world book night world food day writers workshop writing promps writing prompts WUC year in review yoga young living youtube ytmm yvette zero waste week